First Aid for a Bee Sting
A bee sting may hurt and the medical treatment requirement will usually depend upon the severity of the sting bite. A bee sting can be too small and negligible in some cases but an allergic reaction to it may become a subject of an emergency situation. There is anti-venom available against a bee sting which makes it more difficult to deal with it especially when it triggers a severe allergic reaction. When it becomes an emergency a bee sting may be attended to by applying the appropriate first aid treatment to help relieve the situation.
What you can do to prevent and manage a simple bee sting
In most cases, an insect sting may not cause an allergic reaction and thus does not really need a medical attention. You can prevent getting sting by wearing protective clothes when you need to be within an infested area. Putting on an insect repellent lotion will also give you some protection. If there is a stinger left on your skin, it is important to remove it immediately as it can potentially cause the skin to react. An ice application for 20 minutes over the sting area will help relieve the discomfort of a bee sting. Wrap the ice on a cloth and you can apply the same every house when needed.
A bee sting may become painful and the pain can be relieved by taking pain relief medications like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. A bee sting can leave the skin irritated after the bite make sure to wash the skin with a soap and water and apply an antibiotic cream. Minor sting does not require other medical treatment.
When a bee sting causes an allergic reaction
When allergic response occurs from a bee sting, more serious symptoms may occur like severe itching and swelling. Taking an antihistamine medication like Benadryl or Claritin will help relieve the discomfort caused by itching and swelling. For serious allergic reaction, it is best to take the person to a doctor for more professional treatment. Getting a tetanus booster immunization will also help in preventing severe allergic reaction to a bee sting. An allergic reaction may induce serious symptoms of difficulty in breathing, wheezing, anxiety and restlessness. Check for a rapid pulse on the person’s wrist and ask if the person feels dizzy. A shoot up in the blood pressure is possible and you should start using an epinephrine that is a part of an emergency allergy first aid kit and immediately take the person to a doctor.